- About Us
- Adopt a Pet
Adoption Info & Fees
Thank you for your interest in adopting a shelter pet! By choosing adoption, not only are you finding a loving companion, but you are also saving a life.
Am I ready to adopt an animal and provide their forever home?
Adopting an animal is an exciting adventure. Please be sure that excitement doesn't get the best of you by reviewing the following suggestions to ensure that you (and your household) are ready to provide a forever home for one of our animals.
- Please make sure that you are ready to make a lifetime commitment to this animal. Depending upon the pet’s age, this animal may be with you the next 10-15 years.
- Please make sure that all decision-makers within the household are on-board with the adoption of this particular animal.
- We often don’t know how a pet will react to, or interact with children. If you have children, we strongly encourage you to bring them in to interact with the animal before making a final adoption decision.
- If there is another dog in the home, it may be helpful to do the initial introduction at SMVHS. Please understand, however, that the introduction is not a guarantee of long-term success or failure.
- If you live in a rental, please make sure that you fully understand the expectations and requirements of your landlord with regard to adopting a pet. Landlords often have restrictions on the number of animals, size of animals, breed of dogs, or whether it is acceptable to have a cat or dog. Many will require an extra security deposit. It is your responsibility to make sure that it is ok for you to adopt this animal.
- Please make sure the other pets in your household are current on vaccinations and spayed or neutered. When you adopt from SMVHS, you are agreeing to provide good veterinary care to the pet for the rest of its life.
How does the adoption process work?
- Browse our Available Pets on this website or schedule a visit to SMVHS to see our pets. Take note of any pets you are interested in.
- Fillout an adoption application. If browsing online you can download the application by clicking this link. If you are visiting in person you can ask anyone at the adoption counter for an application.
- Submit your completed application to a representative at the adoption counter.
- Talk with an Adoption Counceler to learn more about the pet you'd like to adopt.
- Pay the required adoption fees.
- Take your new pet to their forever home.
Adoptions can take place right away provided enough time is available before the close of our business day. We strive to make this process as quick and convenient as possible. We know our pets are excited to go to their new homes!
What are SMVHS's adoption fees?
|Kittens under 6 months||$90|
|Cats 6 months to 6 years||$65|
|Cats over 6 years||$30|
|Puppies under 6 months||$125|
|Dogs 6 months to 6 years||$90|
|Dogs over 6 years||$45|
Seniors Adopting Seniors Program
Senior adults (60 years or older) can adopt one of our senior dogs or cats (6 years or older) for a discounted adoption fee of $25.