- About Us
- Adopt a Pet
Making a "planned gift" to the Santa Maria Valley Humane Society is a meaningful way to carry forward your compassion and concern for animals, and a wonderful way to say thank you to every animal that has touched your life. It is one of the most effective ways to ensure that SMVHS can continue to save lives through our No Kill adoption program, low cost spay/neuter clinic, and other vital services that make the Santa Maria Valley a more humane community for the animals.
How You Can Help
The Santa Maria Valley Humane Society is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization, receives no government funding, and depends on financial support from its friends. Please consider us in your financial and estate planning. It is our mission to ensure that every dollar we receive is spent carefully and wisely for those in our care.
Join the SMVHS Humane Legacy Circle!
Friends who include the Santa Maria Valley Humane Society in their long-term charitable planning are recognized as members of the SMVHS Humane Legacy Circle. These thoughtful supporters have decided to establish a legacy of support at the SMVHS that will help animals for years to come. Members of the Humane Legacy Circle will be acknowledged in the SMVHS Annual Report, listed on our website, and invited to a special annual donor appreciation event. If you have, or would like to include the SMVHS in your estate plans, please contact us with information about your planned gift so that we can recognize your generosity as a Humane Legacy Circle member. You may also remain anonymous if you so choose.
Please print and fill out this form and send it to SMVHS at 1687 W. Stowell Road, PO Box 1700, Santa Maria, CA 93456-1700. Planned Gift Letter of Intent (link to PDF)
Click here to see current members of the SMVHS Humane Legacy Circle.
Ways to Contribute
Contributions may be made in many ways that will enable you to save innocent lives and prevent suffering while receiving tax benefits. We are available to work with your estate planning and financial advisor to help you create your perfect donation. Please contact our Executive Director for more information:
Phone: (805) 349-3435 ext: 106
Some of the common methods of contribution include:
Bequest in your will
- Direct a specific bequest of money or an asset (i.e. stock) to Santa Maria Valley Humane Society.
- Designate a percentage of the total value of the estate.
- Designate a residual bequest which directs that SMVHS receive the remainder of the estate, or a portion of the remainder, after all expenses and other bequests have been made.
Please note that the Santa Maria Valley Humane Society is separate from the Santa Barbara County Animal Services and we are NOT affiliated with the Humane Society of the United States. Bequests to us should be made to "The Santa Maria Valley Humane Society, Inc., a charitable organization."
- Any or all of the balance in IRA's, 401 (k) s, and other retirement savings plans can be donated to nonprofit organizations. Please consider making the Santa Maria Valley Humane Society a full or partial beneficiary.
Life Insurance Policies, Trusts, and Certificates of Deposit
- The Santa Maria Valley Humane Society can be named as a whole or partial beneficiary under life insurance policies, trusts, and Certificates of Deposits (CDs).
Charitable Remainder Trusts & Gift Annuities
- A CRT or CGA enables you to receive a lifetime income from an investment while receiving a tax deduction for the value of the investment donated to charity.