Work For Us
Current Job Openings
Santa Barbara Campus
Registered Veterinary Technician
Santa Barbara Humane Society is adding to our dynamic veterinary team! We are searching for an enthusiastic, hard-working, and passionate individual who wants to share their skills with shelter animals and give back to the community. Preference will be given to a Registered Veterinary Technician. To be considered for this position, unlicensed assistants must have at least 3 years of experience. See our job description here and here.
Interested in applying? Email [email protected]
Philanthropy & Outreach Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Philanthropy & Outreach
SUPERVISOR: Vice President of Philanthropy & Outreach
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS: Supervises Interns and volunteers as assigned
STATUS: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Do you have a heart for homeless cats and dogs and would like to use your talents to increase the number of those being helped in Santa Barbara County?
Ready to have a great time at work using your engaging personality, organizational and analytical skills, and an enthusiastic, can-do attitude to make a direct impact on the lives of those dogs and cats?
If this sounds like you, then we want you to keep reading. The Santa Barbara Humane Society and the Santa Maria Valley Humane Society have recently merged. This exciting and historic event will assist in providing shelter, care, and support to all of Santa Barbara County and we need a Development Coordinator to help us ensure we are maintaining the most accurate, clean and useful data in support of the animals in our care.
But it’s not just about managing donor data! We need you to be a free thinker who is self-motivated to aid in the work of the Philanthropy and Outreach Department.
Your day could be filled with pulling reports or statistics, analyzing the success of fundraising campaigns, or offering your take on what you are reading from donor correspondence and communications. You could be assisting in the writing or editing compelling copy used to tell stories to our supporters about how they are helping the animals in our care. You could be developing informational or persuasive presentations for board meetings; fundraising events or meet and greet events that highlight the animals and the work to serve Santa Barbara County.
We would love for you to apply for this job if you have a positive and upbeat personality. If you see challenges as opportunities and are very versatile seeing last-minute changes to schedules or plans as just part of what needs to be done to make a difference in the lives of the homeless pet population. If you want a position that keeps you on your toes and provides you with the ability to wear many hats, this will be a good fit.
Become a member of a mission-driven team in an organization that is growing rapidly with record-setting adoptions and county-wide expanded services for pets and the people who love them.
Here’s what you need to know and what we hope your resume showcases.
- Demonstrated organizational and analytical skills, extreme attention to detail, and ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience in working in very fast-paced environments with the ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines.
- An experienced team player who not only works well in a collaborative environment but can do what it takes to step in even when it is not a part of your regular workload.
- Not a beginner, but a seasoned professional who knows when you just must take the ball and run.
- Technology savvy ready to take the lead on technology implementation, maintenance, and encouraging new uses.
- A good writer who has experience in the development of internal and external communications pieces.
- Strong critical thinking, planning, execution, and multitasking skills and demonstrated the ability to reprioritize duties.
- Interest in growing and learning new skills that you may not have today that help our organizational mission.
- A sincere interest in supporting and advocating for the philosophies, policies, and mission of the Santa Barbara Humane Society, a Socially Conscious Shelter.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Suite and CRM software (e.g. Donor Perfect)
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Available to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Valid CA. Driver’s License and insurable driving record.
- Experience with Q-Give, Donor Perfect, Constant Contact, Slack, Asana
- Bi-lingual English-Spanish
- Previous paid or volunteer animal shelter experience
- Bachelors’ Degree, preferably in Public Relations or Communication Science, a minimum of 3 years of experience in a related field
- Responsible for the accuracy and integrity of the Humane Society’s fundraising database (Donor Perfect); develop systems for integrated donation processing, reporting, and donor communication and tracking; troubleshoot and develop technical solutions related to the database.
- Develop, implement, and monitor standard operating procedures for timely and accurate gift and pledge processing and donation acknowledgment; perform data entry and process acknowledgments; provide training to staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality and act as a strong steward of organizational resources.
- Conduct research, analyze data, and track and report on current or prospective donors, mailing lists, events, and campaigns.
- Research grant opportunities; assist with developing proposals; track and report on grant expenditures.
- Provide overall administrative support to the VPPO and development and marketing team; participate in all aspects of fund development, including but not limited to direct mail, on and off-site special events, capital campaigns, marketing, tours, and direct donor engagement.
- Assist with writing and editing fundraising and marketing content; and develop presentations, donor letters, invitations, and other fund and marketing development materials as assigned.
- Coordinate any constituent mailings, email blasts, internal and external newsletters.
- Maintain strong production vendor partners with up to date estimates and delivery times.
- Liaison with vendors as assigned.
- Participate in the development of departmental budget and benchmarks, work within budget parameters.
- Work collaboratively with other departments in relation to marketing and constituent communication needs.
- Follow established protocols to transport and safely manage animals at off-site events and media appearances.
- Follow workplace safety protocols, working in a safe manner at all times. Take immediate action to prevent or address safety concerns.
- Proactively promote organizational programs and services and encourage charitable support for the organization.
- Actively integrate volunteers by providing a welcoming work environment; practicing mentorship, training, and advancement opportunities; and offering feedback on volunteer performance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in the decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Teamwork – Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Work performed in shared office setting
- Regularly spend up to 8 hours sitting and using office equipment, telephone, and computers
- Regularly move from sitting to standing positions effortlessly
- Regularly work on repetitive tasks
- Occasionally lift 5-10 pounds
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals, dust, poor ventilation, heat and cold and sudden temperature changes, wet floors, machinery, zoonosis, and loud animal noises, animal waste, and odors when in the animal shelter.
- May require handling animals of various temperaments and size in a public setting.
- Ability to drive company vehicle county-wide.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change, for example, emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological breakdown.
Interested in applying? Email your cover letter and resumé to [email protected]
Santa Maria Campus
There are currently no job openings at our Santa Maria campus.