Ensuring the Care of Your Pets After You’re Gone
If you have pets, you want the comfort of knowing they will be cared for and loved if anything should happen to you. We strongly recommend that you please remember your pets when crafting your estate plan. Find someone you can trust to leave them to, and talk to this person so they know your plans. If, however, you do not have anyone to leave your pets to, Santa Maria Valley Humane Society now offers a program called Pet Safe to ensure your pet is taken care of, in their new home with a loving family, when you are gone or are disabled.
Santa Maria Valley Humane Society is a local, non-profit corporation, funded through the support of community members like you.
(If your will or trust document does not specify who will transport the pets to our agency in Santa Barbara County, California, we can work with your personal representative, trustee, or other responsible party to have your pet safely transported to our shelter facilities. The cost of transport outside of the boundaries of Santa Barbara County is the responsibility of the pet owner or his/her estate.)
We suggest a minimum planned gift of $5,000 bequeathed to Santa Maria Valley Humane Society, Inc., Federal Identification Number 77-0002949, to support your pets’ enrollment.
A planned gift may be:
- A bequest in your will or trust;
- Naming Santa Maria Valley Humane Society, Inc. as beneficiary of your life insurance or qualified retirement plan;
- Naming Santa Maria Valley Humane Society , Inc. as the beneficiary of a “transfer on death” bank or stock account;
- A charitable gift annuity or a charitable remainder trust.
Required next steps for enrolling a dog or cat in Pet Safe:
- Complete one Pet Safe Enrollment Agreement for each of your pets;
- Complete one Pet Safe Pet Profile for each of your pets;
- Make out a check payable to Santa Maria Valley Humane Society in an amount of $250 for each pet as a nonrefundable Reservation Fee.
- Mail completed documents and check to: Pet Safe – Pet Trusts, Santa Maria Valley Humane Society, 1687 West Stowell Road, Santa Maria, California 93458.